Police dog Chase sniffs out a deadly weapon and helps put two men behind bars

By Nub News Reporter

9th Aug 2022 | Local News

Police dog Chase.
Police dog Chase.

THE role of a police dog in sniffing out an illegal firearm hidden in a South London park was highlighted at a court case which saw two men jailed for eight years.

Police dog Chase was the hero of the hour after officers, acting on intelligence, were carrying out an operation on Friday, 6 August last year in south London. They saw Umar Pervez, 23, carrying a holdall on Mitcham Common. He was subsequently stopped but was no longer in possession of the bag.

Pervez, of Midhurst Avenue, Croydon, was arrested and officers set about searching for the bag, calling in support from officers from Met Taskforce and the National Police Air Service. The holdall was eventually sniffed out by Chase and was found to contain an AK47 assault rifle, magazine and ammunition.

The AK47 that was recovered. It has a number of configurations.

Further enquiries found he had been in contact with 25-year-old Kyal Truong-Clarke of High Street, Beckenham, in the days leading up to the firearm being found, and that Truong-Clarke had made enquiries about how much he could sell the firearm for.

Detective Chief Inspector Stephen Masterson, from the Met's Specialist Crime Command, said: "I have no doubt that this weapon would have been used to kill or seriously injure somebody on the streets of London and I am pleased that we have removed that risk.

"Tackling violent crime is a top priority for the Met and we remain committed to doing all we can to keep the public safe. We have made significant progress in this area, with a 28 per cent drop in lethal barrel discharges compared with this time two years ago.

"The outcome of this investigation is testimony to the tireless work that detectives have put in to bringing these two men to justice. We will stop at nothing to dismantle organised crime groups and the supply of firearms and ammunition in London."

Kyal Truong-Clarke (left) and Umar Pervez.

Almost a year after the offence, Pervez and Truong-Clarke were both sentenced to eight years' imprisonment at Kingston Crown Court yesterday (Monday, 8 August).

Both men were found guilty at the same court on Tuesday, 10 May of conspiracy to transfer a firearm, conspiracy to possess a prohibited firearm and conspiracy to possess ammunition.

Truong-Clarke was also found guilty of possession with intent to supply cannabis.


Related Articles

Local News

Two arrested in Tooting as police seize 1kg of cocaine worth over £40k

Local News

Cost of living: Tips on coping with rise in prices

Nub News Logo

Sign-up to the Tooting Nub News weekly newsletter

Subscribe now for weekly updates of local news and sport from your town. Plus what's on near where you live - and local homes for sale. All delivered straight to your in-box, every Friday.

We won't pass your details on to anyone else. By clicking the sign-up button you agree to our Privacy Policy.